Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Garden Planning

i'm trying to plan my garden before i order my beans. last year the garden had some problems like a lot of other people i know. this year, one-i'm not pregnant, and two-i will have bees:) i was thinking of trying a three sisters garden in one of my plots. so that takes care of corn, squash and pole beans. i have asparagus planted from last year. i will get tomatoes, cucumbers and carrots. i was thinking of doing a raised bed of leafy greens. i love poached eggs from my "girls" and a nice summer salad for breakfast. i would like to try radishes this year, i love radishes. i need to get potatoes and onions in soon if i want those.
the thing is food prices are going up, gardens like mine might have to be more than a hobby. they might be needed, like the victory gardens of the 40's, our gardens will feed our families and neighbors. i have eggs from my hens, fresh veggies from my garden, and i will have honey from my bees. i hope to freeze and can much food this summer for our winter. it feels good to provide for my family. not only am i giving my children a lesson on agriculture i am giving their bodies nutrients that veggies from the supermercado can't give them. i will be giving them honey that our bees will make us, and they already know where to go get eggs. i love my little urban farm we've been building and adding to. i love feeding my family from our back yard. now i just have to figure how to hide sheep, pigs and cows back there, okay, and a llama too!

3 comments:

Valerie said...

maybe you could take an apprentice under your wings? i'd love to start really small, considering i don't have a green thumb, like maybe container gardening somehow...

Terri & Angela said...

I am right there with you! Well, actually I am out in my garden, but you get the idea! (Note to self: renew subscription to Hobby Farm magazine.)

sacha said...

love hobby farm!